I have 2 littles, so traveling is no joke. We come prepared or we all suffer. I try to be inventive, but also keep things simple so we can all stay sane. Here are a few tips I have learned along the way:
- I try to fly early in the morning so there isn’t a lot of waiting around to leave.
- Each kid gets a backpack full of new, travel friendly and attention keeping toys. I also load up the iPads with new apps and shows to break up long stretches!
- Food is the other biggie, portion sized snacks ready to serve, including a few fun treats that don’t get a lot of FaceTime otherwise.
- I bring the kids empty spill proof cups so we can use them for the drink service and don’t have to worry about getting a lap full of apple juice. I did learn that one the hard way!
I try to look up the destination airport if we have any layovers or nearby food/fun if we are going to be hanging out for a while. I try not to waste my airplane backpack toys on layovers, so it’s good to have a change the scenery if possible.
- Physical movement, kids need it and so do I! Remembering that little bodies have a hard time sitting still and need to move is just part of life. Give them a break, take them up and down the aisles a few times and let them say hi to nice grandmas sitting the aisle seats!